What is Sea Buckthorn?
Sea buckthorn is a flowering plant belonging to the Elaeagnaceae family, native to the cold temperate regions of Europe and Asia.
It is a thorny and very resistant, deciduous shrub that can grow between 2 and 4 m high. It has slightly rounded fruits that grow on compact grapes and vary from pale yellow to dark orange.
From its fruits we can obtain the sea buckthorn oil(Hippophae rhamnoides extract)), widely used in cosmetic products, and is one of the star ingredients that we have selected for the formulation and development of our anti-aging cosmetic lineas it is one of the plants with more antioxidants that exist in the plant world, because of their high content of vitamin E, which helps to eliminate and mattify blemishes and marks on the skin.
Facial creams and serums with sea buckthorn soothe and protect the skin from external aggressions (sun rays), regenerate the skin and contain antioxidant properties. They are especially aimed at mature skin because they combat cellular aging.
In this post we are going to tell you what sea buckthorn is used for, we are going to know its origin, benefits, uses and properties, especially its cosmetic properties.
Benefits of Sea Buckthorn
We can find references to the benefits and properties of Sea Buckthorn in ancient Chinese medicinal texts that seem to date back to the Tang Dynasty (VII-VIII centuries), where it was used to treat digestive and skin problems. Its use is also reflected in the texts of traditional Tibetan medicine, in traditional Ayurvedic medicine (India), and even in ancient Greece.
Sea Buckthorn is a shrub with thorny branches, with small orange berries that are edible, although they have a slightly sour taste. It grows in hostile soils and is able to withstand high temperatures and drought.
It is one of the few plants that contains very valuable oils cosmetically speaking, both in the leaves and in the seeds.
This oil is widely used in organic cosmetic products due to its multiple benefits and its important antioxidant and skin regenerating properties.
Nowadays, we can find sea buckthorn berries prepared in different ways:
- sea buckthorn juice
- sea buckthorn tea
- facial creams and serums with sea buckthorn oil
- sea buckthorn capsules
Properties of Sea Buckthorn Oil
This oil and the extract extracted from the fruits of Sea Buckthorn has multiple beneficial properties for medicinal and cosmetic treatments. We will explain some of them:
- Hawthorn berries are noted for their high content in vitamin C. They have much more vitamin C than a lemon, which is why they are invigorating, stimulate circulation and prevent infections.
- It also stands out for its quantity of unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E. This composition makes sea buckthorn ideal for normal and dry skin as it gives softness and suppleness and prevents skin aging.
- From its fruits, of a singular richness in vitamin C and B12, an oil with a great energetic power is obtained , little explored in our country.
Benefits of sea buckthorn for the skin: great regenerator and natural anti-aging
All the benefits that Sea Buckthorn oil or extract has to protect our skin require a separate mention:
- Retains moisture. That is why it is used as a moisturizer.
- Repairing: repairs epithelial cells. It is a magnificent antioxidant and anti-aging agent.
- Anti-wrinkle: eliminates small wrinkles or expression lines thanks to its high content of essential fatty acids.
- Anti-inflammatory: it works as a perfect natural anti-inflammatory, ideal for times when the skin suffers from dermatitis or even psoriasis.
- Soothing: applied to the skin, sea buckthorn oil also soothes all types of skin irritations and eliminates eczema, hard skin, pimples and boils.
- Antioxidant: it absorbs the sun’s rays. It protects our skin from this external factor, which is the main cause of cellular aging.
Cosmetics with Sea Buckthorn, an ally for mature skins
As we have already seen, sea buckthorn is widely used in organic cosmetics for the treatment of skin problems such as wounds or scars, or for anti-aging or anti-aging creams; since it favors the process of creation of elastin and natural collagen in the skin. That’s why at Såper we have incorporated it into our Anti-Aging, or Slowaging, line to slow down premature skin aging.
You can find it in various products of the anti-aging line:
- Nutritive Cleasing Balm: a
super nourishing cleansing balm
that melts into your skin and delights the senses thanks to its scent and rich feel. Its oils of passion fruit, mallow and sea buckthorn among others, improve the appearance of the skin, mitigating the signs of stress caused by environmental factors, and its pink clay particles provide a gentle exfoliation.
is a concentrated antioxidant fluid, with the regenerating power of sea buckthorn, aloe vera, immortelle and myrrh. In addition, the mica particles immediately improve the skin’s radiance.
- Antipollution Firming Cream: Antipollution FirmingCream protects against pollution and free radicals. Sea buckthorn extract and its first-pressed organic vegetable oils together with essential oils regenerate the tissue. It is immediately absorbed and improves the appearance of the skin by increasing the flow of oxygen that activates cellular respiration.
- You can see all the details and the complete list of ingredients, also called INCI, by clicking on each of the products. Remember that the order of ingredients is decreasing. In other words, the first one has the most cosmetic content and the last one the least.
Sea buckthorn fun facts
And finally, a couple of anecdotes and facts about this ingredient:
- It was apparently the first juice to be taken into space. Russian cosmonauts took containers of this juice into space to increase their strength and endurance.
- At the Olympic Games in Seoul in 1988, sea buckthorn fruit juice was considered the official beverage.
I’m sure you’ve been eager to test its efficacy.
Subscribe to our Newsletter to be updated on everything related to natural cosmetics, as well as to receive discount codes for exclusive promotions that we send you for being subscribed.