Discover how to care for skin irradiated by radiotherapy in an easy and simple way.
Taking care of our sensitive skin when receiving or undergoing radiation therapy is very important. More and more common are the cases of people who have to go through this: when one does not find a natural alternative to their disease, radiotherapy can be a valid option to evaluate and use.
However, we must be very aware of the effects that such action can have on our body, and in this case in particular, on our skin. Because in radiation therapy, the skin is one of the organs that suffers the most.
What is a skin irradiated by radiotherapy?
Radiation therapy-irradiated skin is skin that has been exposed to radiation that a cancer patient receives to destroy cancer cells and shrink tumors. However, this radiation can have an adverse effect: it can destroy healthy cells and cause side effects such as tiredness, fatigue or more visible skin manifestations.
Therefore, it is very important to take into account how we are going to prepare and take care of the skin for radiation therapy. In this way, we ensure or at least try to keep it as healthy, cared for and beautiful as possible.
It is possible that during radiotherapy the skin will acquire different shades of color. Rosacea, bright red or dark, as treatment progresses. It may also feel dry, tight, flaky, itchy and even become inflamed. Blisters may appear, rashes in the irradiated area…
Each body is a world, each person reacts in a completely different way, depending on the part of the body being treated or the type and dose of radiation being received.
Treatment for radiodermatitis
Therefore, to prevent and care for radiodermatitis, it is crucial to properly moisturize the skin before the first radiotherapy sessions. This is essential, because in the process of radiation, you suffer from dryness, flaking and dehydration.
It is also important to know how to use the right products, without chemical components such as alcohol or perfumes. In this case, we recommend that you use natural cosmetics and certified organic, high quality and non-violent animal products.
During radiotherapy it is important:
- Keeping the skin clean, with daily showers, very mild soaps, natural cosmetics (such as our Organic Facial Soaps or Body Oils)…
- Wash the treated area very gently, avoiding exfoliating gloves (you can use muslin), and rinse the skin well so that no soap residue remains,
- Dry yourself carefully, patting gently with a soft, comforting towel…
- After showering or facial cleansing, moisturize the skin with a regenerating and repairing product, such as Calendula body oil (if on the body) or Radiant Skin Serum (if on the face).
Other recommendations for the treatment of radiodermatitis are:
- Wear loose clothing and natural fabrics in the treated area.
- Do not wax or shave the treated area.
- Avoid exposure of the skin to the sun
- Use a comfortable water temperature, neither too hot nor too cold.
Irradiated skin care products
One of the products you can use to deep cleanse and nourish radiated skin (on the face) with kindness is our Calendula Nourishing Soap, a solid bar of soap, organic, indicated for deep cleansing in the morning and evening.
Its continued use improves the appearance of the skin, refines pores and brightens the skin.
is another great tool to incorporate into your beauty routine: this brings more freshness and hydration to the area affected by the radiation, as well as fixing more effectively all subsequent care.
Our aloe vera and rose hydrolat facial toner is suitable for all skin types and also for all skin types:
- Leaves a refreshing and soothing sensation thanks to the aloe vera and rose water.
- Combination that regenerates, soothes, moisturizes and balances the pH of the skin (vital for treating radiodermatitis).
- Increases the absorption of the active ingredients that we apply after…
Finally, you can finish with the Argan Revitalizing Serum, with its certified, unrefined and non-deodorized first cold extraction oil, enriched with a blend of essential oils that provides an intense and fruity aroma.
In case the affected area is the body, be sure to cleanse with an organic body soap and moisturize your skin with our natural, organic, cruelty free and botanical body creams or oils .